Etiquette for Book Lovers and Others

Three things you should say to a writer:

  1. Thank you (for reading this evening, for producing this book)
  2. It made me think. (It moved me). [NOT it reminded me of my own memory or experience.]
  3. All the best with your next project.
Simple tripartite structure available to any well-bred guest. An acknowledgement that someone took pains to produce and present something; some nominal statement endorsing the worth of what was produced; good wishes for the future. It is as formulaic as the greetings of hello and good-bye and every bit as effective because it is formulaic. It is a structure with countless variations and practice makes perfect, so…
Rita, thank you for assembling these fascinating photos; I was particularly moved by the images of the women in the asylum; and I look forward to the results of your next project — safe travels.
Unembedeed: Four Independent Photojournalists on the War in Iraq. Ghaith Abdul-Ahad, Kael Alford, Thorne Anderson, Rita Leistner.

And so for day 292
02.10.2007