"I really don't know life at all."

Larry Klein from one of the cards included in the circular box set from Joni Mitchell Both Sides Now



As we began the process of selecting the songs for this record, Joni came up with the idea of having the record trace the arc of a modern romantic relationship. I thought that this idea was innovative, exciting and especially appropriate considering that the focal point of her work has been an inquiry into the nature of modern love. The album would be a programmatic suite documenting a relationship from initial flirtation through optimistic consummation, metamorphosing into disillusionment, ironic despair, and finally resolving in the philosophical overview of acceptance and the probability of the cycle repeating itself.


The ever so improbable beauty of cycle repetition.


The results have surpassed our expectations. In singing these songs, I believe that Joni has achieved something quite extraordinary in that she has truly sung them as if, as Nietzsche would say, she had written them in her own blood.


Believe.

The dialogue of the dead with the living ...


You're My Thrill

At Last

Comes Love

You've Changed

Answer Me, My Love

A Case of You

Don't Go to Strangers

Sometimes I'm Happy

Don't Worry 'Bout Me

Stormy Weather

I Wish I Were In Love Again

Both Sides Now


A play list. "I really don't know 'love' at all." So much more. So very much more.

And so for day 25
08.01.2007